What’s the difference between a cold and the flu? Google coughing, sore throat, fever, headache, hot and cold chills, feeling weak all over, no energy. Somewhere at the top of the list should be the following: https://goo.gl/cDoP5A
- Generally, flu symptoms are more severe – with greater emphasis on body ache, chills and fever. People who are ill with the flu can develop deadly complications. The flu has the potential to turn into something more serious, such as pneumonia or bronchitis. This is especially true among high-risk populations, which include young children, older adults, pregnant women and people with weakened immune systems or who suffer from chronic illness.
- A cold usually infects your nose and throat, while the flu can take up residence in your nose, throat, bronchial tubes and even lungs.
- Many also mistakenly refer to stomach bugs that cause diarrhea and vomiting – known medically as gastroenteritis – as influenza. Gastroenteritis is actually an irritation of the stomach and intestines, though viruses are responsible for many of these cases.
- Cold symptoms may not show up until one to three days after you’ve been exposed to the virus. Symptoms may include a runny or stuffy nose, itchy or sore throat, cough, congestion, body aches, headache, a low-grade fever and mild fatigue. With the flu, symptoms come on more suddenly– and you’ll likely feel worse. Symptoms of the flu include a fever greater than 100°F, chills and sweats, headache, dry cough and aching muscles – especially in your back, arms and legs. If you have the flu, you’ll also feel weak and extremely tired.
- Fever up to 100°F
- Runny or stuffy nose
- Sore throat
- Slight headache
- Watery eyes
- Fever greater than 100°F
- Stuffy nose
- Chills and sweats
- Muscle aches concentrated in back, arms and legs
- Severe headache
- Loss of appetite
Okay, so I can rule out a common cold, because there is nothing common about the way I feel. As the title suggests, I’ve spent the past 43 hours in bed – no phone, no internet, not a single luxury. Admittedly, I was having withdrawal symptoms thus the blog post, though back to bed is where I’ll probably be within the hour. On the bright side this flu thing is probably doing wonders for my diet. I’ll try to do an unofficial weigh in tomorrow. Till then…